The American Lung Association in California has updated two resources detailing local smokefree multi-unit housing policies:
Matrix of Strong Local Smokefree Multi-Unit Housing – This document lists policy and enforcement provisions for the 51 communities across the state that have passed ordinances prohibiting smoking in at least 75% of new and existing multi-unit housing units.
Local California Smokefree Housing Policies Detailed Analysis – This document provides a detailed look at the 90 Californian communities that have passed any smokefree multi-unit housing policies, including those that only restrict smoking in common areas.
We have two brand new policy resources available to help local communities understand the interactions between local policies and these new state-level policies. Each document addresses frequently asked questions concerning local policy and the recently-passed state legislation, and provides several example scenarios that help illustrate how specific policies might play out. Click below to view each document:
Eight new tobacco-related bills have been introduced this legislative session. Committee hearings are currently underway and will continue over the next several months as they move forward in the legislative process. Click below for our full legislative update.
The deadline for introducing new bills for the 2017 session of the California Legislature was Friday, February 17. In total, seven tobacco-related bills were introduced. Click below for our full legislative update.
The Center is proud to share four updated organizing documents. Each of these documents are essential to your campaign, from figuring out your supporters to planning strategy and tactics.
Midwest Strategy Chart Guide – The Center FEB 2017: This strategy chart will take you step by step through all the various elements of a successful campaign. This document is the cornerstone of your campaign and should be regularly revised and updated.
Decision Maker Matrix – The Center FEB 2017: This document will guide your research for each of your decision makers. Find out what kind of groups your decision makers associate with, who their supporters are, and other important details.
Decision Maker Profile – The Center FEB 2017: Go deep into research for each of your decision makers. This document will guide your research and ask the major questions you should be able to answer for reach of your targets.
Circles of Influence – The Center FEB 2017: . This matrix will help you organize your relations with the various decision makers. Get a global view on your coalition’s resources and figure out how you can leverage that influence to convince key decision makers.
As always, The Center is here to help you with your campaign. If you have any questions or want an in-person training, just let us know! You can email John Yi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On February 15, 2017, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued a memo on the implementation of the smokefree public housing rule which took effect on February 3rd. Click below for our full federal policy update.
The following six outdoor air policy resources have been updated:
• Comprehensive Outdoor Secondhand Smoke Ordinances – Ninety-seven cities and counties in California have now passed comprehensive outdoor secondhand smoke ordinances.
• Table of Comprehensive Outdoor Secondhand Smoke Ordinances – Provides a table-only document outlining all communities with comprehensive outdoor secondhand smoke ordinances.
• List of Municipalities That Restrict Smoking in Entryways – There are 119 ordinances prohibiting smoking within 20 or more feet of all entryways. An additional 25 ordinances prohibit smoking within 19 or less feet of entryways, or prohibit smoking near only certain entryways.
• List of Municipalities That Restrict Smoking in Outdoor Dining Areas – There are 97 municipalities that restrict smoking in all outdoor dining areas and an additional 49 municipalities that have policies with exemptions for certain types of outdoor dining areas.
• List of Municipalities That Restrict Smoking in Public Events – Eighty-eight municipalities restrict all smoking at public events.
• List of Municipalities That Restrict Smoking in Service Areas – One hundred and fourteen municipalities restrict smoking in all service areas. An additional twenty-eight municipalities restrict smoking in some service areas.
At the end of each legislative session, the Center produces an annual vote record that summarizes the outcome of each bill and how each member of the legislature voted. Click below for our latest vote record.
With the deadline to introduce new bills for the 2017 session of the California Legislature less than a month away, one tobacco-related bill has been introduced. Click below for our full legislative update.
From using Twitter to spread press releases and important survey data to researching decisions makers on Facebook, a smart digital media strategy can go a long way in making your campaigns a success. And so, The Center is proud to release its updated organizing document “Using Digital Media Strategically in Your Campaigns.” Breaking down the campaigns into five different phases, our organizing document shows the powerful role digital media can play at each step. You can find the document attached here.