The mission of Smokefree OC, a project of the American Lung Association in California, is to protect Orange County residents from the hazards of secondhand smoke exposure by increasing the number of smoke free environments indoors and out.
Smokefree OC is actively working in Buena Park to make parks and other outdoor recreational areas 100% smokefree. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.
All Buena Park residents have the right to clean, safe places to enjoy. Smokefree policies in parks and other outdoor recreational areas ensure that children, families and all patrons are protected from the hazards of secondhand smoke and cigarette litter.
Many communities in Orange County already have policies in place to protect residents from secondhand smoke. As a matter of fact, Costa Mesa passed a smokefree parks policy in 2011 due to the efforts of Smokefree OC.
JOIN US to help make Buena Park a healthier place to live. Together, we can make a difference in our community!
Smokefree OC Updates:
- The city of Buena Park is currently drafting a smokefree parks policy which is expected to be presented to the city council in early 2014. Sign-up now to receive notification when the city council date is announced.
- There is a Cigarette Butt Cleanup scheduled for January 25, 2014 at George Bellis Park in Buena Park. Find out more here. Please contact Amanda Knitter for more information about the event.
Our survey showed that more than 80% of Buena Park residents would support a law that makes it illegal to smoke in recreation areas.
- Stay informed! Sign-up now to receive periodic updates from the Smokefree OC team.
- Share your story with us! Why are smokefree parks and other environments important to you? Send an email to our OC team with your story.
- Join the conversation! Attend Buena Park City Council Meetings with other Smokefree OC supporters and tell them why you want smokefree parks in your community.
- Support it! Write a letter of support for smokefree parks from you or on behalf of your agency and submit to Amanda.Knitter@lung.org.
- Educate others! Contact us to schedule an educational presentation for your church, school, workplace or civic organization.
- Volunteer! Contact our OC team for opportunities to help collect surveys, petitions and other activities.
Our Local Decision Makers:
Mayor Elizabeth Swift –email@example.com
Mayor Pro Tem Miller Oh – firstname.lastname@example.org
Council Member Steve Berry – email@example.com
Council Member Art Brown – firstname.lastname@example.org
Council Member Fred R. Smith – email@example.com
Amanda Knitter | firstname.lastname@example.org | 714-933-1011